Before you launch a website for your business, you need to choose a web address (sometimes referred to as a domain name or URL).
Here are some tips for getting started.
What is a domain name?
A domain name is a humanly memorable name for a website. Domains include an extension at
the end. The most common extension is “.com”, but there are many others, like “.net” and “.org”.
What are some tips for choosing a domain name?
• Choose a domain that is short, easy to remember and easy to spell.
• Use the ”.com” extension if it’s available.
• Avoid hyphens and numbers.
• Consider including an important keyword, such as your location, main product or industry.
How do I get a domain name?
• You can get a domain name for free for one year by visiting www.gybo.com.
• You can use another registrar to get a domain name. To see a list of accredited
companies, visit the resources section of www.icann.org.
What do I need to know about domain names?
• You can’t own a domain name. Registration provides exclusive use for a period of time.
• Don’t let your domain name registration expire! Someone else could register it
and use it for their website.
• When you register a domain name, consider adding the “privacy” option. Otherwise, your
registration information (name, address, email address and phone number) is publicly
© 2013 Google Inc. All rights reserved. Google and the Google Logo are registered trademarks of Google Inc.